Some sobering statistics about youth and smoking:
- Each day, nearly 6,000 children under 18 years of age start smoking; of these, nearly 2,000 will become regular smokers. That is almost 800,000 annually.
- It is estimated that at least 4.5 million U.S. adolescents are cigarette smokers.
- Approximately 90 percent of smokers begin smoking before the age of 21.
- If current tobacco use patterns persist, an estimated 6.4 million children will die prematurely from a smoking-related disease.
- According to a 2001 national survey of high school students, the overall prevalence of current cigarette use was 28 percent.
My son, Jackson and his 5th grade class at Rosecrest Elementary were guests on the Home Team this week. They learned about this anti-tobacco ad contest and joined me in a kickboxing workout. (click here to kick with us!)
Here is the information you need to get your kids involved in the TRUTH campaign.
4th and 5th-Graders Urged to ‘Try Advertising’: UDOH Annual Anti-tobacco Ad Contest is now open to all 4th and 5th graders statewide. The Utah Department of Health (UDOH) invites Utah 4th and 5th graders to design radio, TV and billboard ads that will convince other kids to never start using tobacco. Best in show will win $400 and the ad will be professionally produced. Additional prizes include $300 for first place, $200 for second place and $100 for third place in each category. Entries are due by March 6, 2009 and more information is available at www.youthagainsttobacco.com