Finding the motivation to exercise is a challenge for most people. When the alarm goes off, you need a big reason to get out of your comfy sheets. I call this your “WHY”. Why do you make the choice to exercise today? What gets you out of bed? What helps you make your workout a priority among all of the things competing for your time? Come up with a compelling reason. Don’t wait until you “feel motivated”. Without getting clear about these things, you will probably keep running into the same walls over and over again in your attempts to lose weight and become more healthy. Come up with a huge WHY…one that is more powerful than your best excuses. One that gets you out of bed to exercise when you don’t want to, and one that helps you pass up the fries because you want better for your body.
I recently asked the women in one of my classes to share their “WHY”. Here are some of their responses:
- I gained 70 pounds with each baby. I didn’t want to be that size for the rest of my life
- Diabetes runs in my family and I want to do what I can to prevent it in my life
- I work in education and am concerned about the rise of childhood obesity. I want to be a role model to my children and the childern I work with every day.
- I love how exericse has raised my metabolism so I can eat more!
- I come because I have made friends in the gym who give me a hard time when I miss a class. The buddy system works!
I invite you to come up with the biggest motivation you can think of. Write it down and keep it where you can see it often. I would love it if you would post a comment here and share your motivation with others.